#Datawyze: How to save data when using the Cloud
Here are the different ways to optimise data on your favourite cloud storage services.
Cloud storage services, like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive and so on, exist to make our lives easier. There is nothing as comforting as knowing that your photos, videos, documents, music and all the other data on your smartphone are safely stored away somewhere on the cloud. However, cloud services can be a big culprit when it comes to data use. Often, your phone is set by default to backup every photo you take or receive, every message or email to the cloud, so make sure you're aware of how your phone is backing up your data to manage it effectively.
Sure, having an up-to-date backup is reassuring. But rest even easier by altering the following settings on your cloud storage apps to optimise data usage:
- Android: Launch Google drive > Navigate to Settings (top left) > Settings > select preferred setting.
- iOS: Launch Google drive > Navigate to Settings (top left) > Settings > Photos > make sure Auto Backup is switched ON > select preferred setting.
- Android: Launch Dropbox > Navigate to Settings (top left) > Settings > How to update > select preferred setting
- iOS: Launch Dropbox > Navigate to Settings (top left) when on the Recents page > Camera Uploads > select preferred setting
Note: The Use Cellular Data setting is only available when Camera Uploads is turned ON
Download Offline Files
- iOS: Launch Dropbox > Navigate to Settings (top left) when on the Recents page > Offline Files > select preferred setting
Disable Background App Refresh
Sync Samsung Cloud
- Navigate to Settings > Cloud and accounts > Samsung Cloud > Settings (top right) > Settings > Sync using Wi-Fi only > select preferred setting
- Navigate to Settings > Cellular > select preferred setting. This may prevent iCloud Drive from transferring documents and data over mobile data.
Be #Datawyze with Vodacom
We know that it can be difficult to work out exactly how much data you’re going to need, or how much data you are currently using. Try out this data calculator to understand how much data your most popular apps use.
The best way to save money on data is to make sure you have an active data bundle. You can buy data bundles quickly and simply on the My Vodacom App. Also check out Vodacom Ticket for awesome deals on data for WhatsApp, social media, gaming and more.