Today is World Environment Day and people, including corporates world-wide, are celebrating the United Nation’s principal vehicle to help encourage awareness and action for the protection of the environment. In an effort to reduce its environmental footprint, Vodacom is investing in energy efficiency and renewable energy, reducing waste and wastefulness, reducing its water footprint and implementing eco-friendly solutions at the core of its operations.
As we celebrate World Environment Day, here are some environment facts to be aware of:
- 92 percent of people worldwide do not breathe clean air
- Air pollution costs the global economy $5 trillion every year in welfare costs
- 2016 was the warmest year on record
- 800 million people (11% of the world’s population), are currently vulnerable to climate change impacts such as floods, droughts, heat waves, extreme weather events and sea-level rise
- The theme for this year’s World Environment Day celebrations in South Africa is “Think.Eat.Save”, which is an anti-food waste and food loss campaign that encourages footprint reductions
- According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO),1.3 million tonnes of food is wasted every year
Climate change has become a serious problem that we can no longer ignore, which is why it's imperative every business do its part in reducing ...