The 25 ways Vodacom has been #ConnectingForGood
Check out what Vodacom has done to help many people in 2019
Vodacom has been #ConnectingforGood in so many ways:
- Free access to Mum & Baby supported over a million customers so they could #StayConnected to reliable health information and tools, even from the comfort of their homes.
- To overcome the barriers and let job-seekers #StayConnected to online vacancy postings, we’ve invested over R1 billion to zero-rate the use of employment portals.
Access to online education
- Vodacom’s e-School has allowed over a million learners to #StayConnected to home-studies, with curriculum-aligned content at zero cost.
- Our goal in 2019 was to make the country’s top university sites free—with no data costs for our customers to #StayConnected.
- In 2019, the #VodacomFoundation helped Vision 2030 #StayConnected with a system that enabled learning from childhood by using technology and innovation to help develop future skills.
- We helped 250 000 teachers across SA #StayConnected to new skills via our 92 Teacher Training Centres, providing ICT resources and internet connectivity to ensure learning was a possibility.
- We have invested a total of R14 million in bursaries, while also helping more than1 500 beneficiaries #StayConnected to their academic goals, all in the hope of achieving a better future through education.
- Vodacom aims to help SA’s future leaders #StayConnected through learning all levels of the business via the Discover Graduate Programme, which received 6 500 applications last year.
- In 2019, we helped more than 400 unemployed youth #StayConnected to graduate with certified diplomas from our Youth Academy, while others received skills and training to further their lives.
Creating more inclusivity for all
- Access to emergency services should not be difficult for those with disabilities. That’s why we created the 112 Emergency Service App to help those with impediments #StayConnected in the times they’ll need it most.
- The need for more women in STEM careers is why we created Code Like a Girl, offering young girls the chance to #StayConnected to an interest in this field.
Access to more people
- In 2019, we were able to ensure 200 rural networks #StayConnected in SA by extending our coverage to people in deeper rural areas—just another year of #ConnectingForGood that you helped make happen.
- We have invested more than R9 billion to improve our network performance and increase the coverage, letting you #StayConnected.
- We have invested at least half a million rand to ensure our network is accessible during tough times, including the purchase of batteries for towers and base stations to #StayConnected.
- We continue to digitise SA’s municipalities through 4IR solutions, which helps them #StayConnected to enhance revenue collection, curb electricity infrastructure tampering and increase billing accuracy.
Backing women in business
Over R5 million has been invested in the Women Farmers Programme to help women across SA #StayConnected to opportunities. 1 000 female farmers are receiving digital training, thanks to this initiative.
Civil servant support
- In order to combat an alarming crime rate in SA, we launched MySAPS, allowing citizens to #StayConnected to police services for valuable information.
Supporting those affected by GBV
- Thanks to your support, we could invest over R4 million to create SA’s first national Gender-based Violence Command Centre, a way for victims to #StayConnected, made possible with your help.
Partnering to help SME's
With our new financing service VodaLend|Business Advance, we ensured the tools needed for SMEs to #StayConnected were easy to access, because funding shouldn’t be a major challenge in the SME landscape. Just another way we spent the last year #ConnectingForGood.
Last year, we launched the Fast Forward Series, hosting workshops and interactive sessions aimed at helping SMEs #StayConnected to growing within SA’s business environment.
Investing in Africa
Last year, we launched the low-cost smartphone to increase mobile access in SA while supporting African innovation so you could #StayConnected while keeping your distance.
Through various campaigns, Grace Masenya and Songezo Mampungu both became proud owners of their first-ever cars, a gift that you made happen with your support.
Through M-Pesa, we’ve helped over 50 million financial customers #StayConnected with financial services they otherwise would not have access to, which is now more important than ever.
Last year, we gave 18 children the full use of their facial expressions with free surgery and treatments to bring back their smiles.
Keeping you safe
Safety and security remains one of the top priorities in SA. With our consumer IoT product range, V by Vodacom, we secured peace of mind for our customers and their loved ones by ensuring they could #StayConnected to the security of their homes.