With the summer holidays coming up, there are two words many parents fear: 'I’m bored!' One way to keep the little ones busy - especially in the car - is with podcasts, and there are many to choose from.
More than just a distraction, podcasts offer a few other benefits:
- It stimulates their imagination: Because your children will be listening and not watching something, their brain has to tap into the imagination to draw its own pictures to fit the audio feed. Researchers have repeatedly linked imagination to brain and cognitive development.
- They learn as they listen: Depending on the choice of podcast, your kids could add to their knowledge about the particular topic being explored in the podcast. There are many that cover science, philosophy, history and more.
- Quiet time: Children are easily overstimulated in a world that bombards all their senses. Allowing them to put time aside to listen to a podcast provides some peace and quiet for some of the senses.
- Improved listening: Many studies have found that our attention spans are getting shorter. Podcasts could however, make us better listeners by teaching us to remain engaged while someone else is talking so as not to miss out on any important bits of the story.
- Reduced screen time: While you’ll need a smartphone or tablet to play the podcast, your child won’t be staring at a screen while listening to the story.