Here's how to manage your data on the world's most popular messaging app, WhatsApp, to keep you chatting for less.
WhatsApp is very similar to text messaging services like SMS and iMessage. However, WhatsApp uses the internet to send messages and it can consume a significant amount of data when you're sending and receiving videos and pics, making calls or backing up your chats over mobile data.
You can alter the following settings to optimise your mobile data usage on WhatsApp. Note that all the below settings may differ slightly between Android and iOS, and depending on which version of the operating system you're using.
Don’t download media automatically
- Android: Launch WhatsApp > Navigate to Settings > Data usage > Under Media auto-download section select When using mobile data > uncheck the items that should not download automatically when on mobile data only
- iOS: Launch WhatsApp > Navigate to Settings (bottom right) > Data and Storage Usage > Under Media auto-download section select Wi-Fi for Photos, Audio, Videos and Documents
Lower data during usage during calls
- Android: Launch WhatsApp > Navigate to Settings > Data usage > make sure Low data usage is checked
- iOS: Launch WhatsApp > Navigate to Settings (bottom right) > Data and Storage Usage > Under Call Settings make sure Low data usage is switched ON
Chat backup over Wi-Fi only
- Launch WhatsApp > Navigate to Settings > Chats > Chat backup > make sure Backup-up over is set as Wi-Fi and not Wi-Fi or cellular
Be #Datawyze with Vodacom
Check out lots more tips and tricks on how to manage your data on the Vodacom website.
The best way to save money on data is to make sure you have an active data bundle. You can buy data bundles quickly and simply on the My Vodacom App. Also check out Vodacom Ticket for awesome deals on data for WhatsApp, social media, gaming and more.
Join the community and keep up to date with the latest trends