Every South African knows 18 July is Mandela Day. This is more than a celebration of Nelson Mandela’s life and legacy; it is a global movement to continue his life’s work and to change our world for the better. The overall message is: Nelson Mandela fought for social justice for 67 years. You can start with just 67 minutes.
Here are some ideas on how you can contribute on Mandela Day.
- Contact your local HIV organisation and find out how you can help.
- Volunteer at your local hospice.
- Donate toys to the children's ward at your local hospital and spend time entertaining the children.
- Volunteer to walk dogs and clean kennels at your local animal shelter.
- Organise a group in your neighbourhood and make soup and sandwiches for the homeless.
At Vodacom, we treat every day as Mandela Day. As a brand with a purpose for more than 25 years, we have been using technology to bring about positive social change. Our focus areas are Inclusion for All, Digital Society and Planet. Here are a few of our projects.
Vodacom's partnership with the Smile Foundation has changed lives. The Smile Foundation provides reconstructive surgery to children who were born with cleft lips and/or palates, which is not only an aesthetic issue but also impacts their ability to suckle as well as their speech develop...