For COVID-19 updates, visit the official government website www.sacoronavirus.co.za for free.
There are many reasons you might need a new SIM. You may have lost or damaged your existing SIM or you need to exchange your SIM for a smaller MicroSIM or NanoSIM card to fit into a new device.
Thankfully, this doesn’t mean that you have to get a new number. You can do a Vodacom SIM swap and still keep your old number, whether you’re on Prepaid or Contract.
- When doing a SIM swap, all your services remain unchanged due to the services being linked to your cellphone number and not the SIM number.
- The PIN and PUK numbers of your new SIM will not be the same as the old SIM card.
- Your RICA information will also be moved to the new SIM when the SIM swap is successful.
Benefits of a SIM swap
- You get to keep your cellphone number on the new SIM.
- You keep all your existing bundles, services and airtime.
- You keep your discounts and promotions (if applicable).
How to do a Prepaid SIM swap
- Buy a new Prepaid starter pack and register it for RICA.
- Dial 136 from the new SIM.
- Select the option to use your old cellphone number.
- You will be routed to a call centre consultant who will do the SIM swap for you.
- Put your new SIM into your device. It will take between two and 24 hours before the new SIM card is activated.
How to do a Contract SIM swap
If you need to swap your SIM to fit a new device that takes a smaller SIM or you've lost your SIM, go to your nearest Vodacom store and one of the shop assistants will help you make the change. Please note that there may be a SIM-card activation fee.
Remember to take these with you:
- Your South African ID or passport.
- Your current Vodacom cellphone number (if you have one).
- A replaceable contract SIM (you can purchase one at any Vodacom Shop).
- You will need to RICA when you purchase a new SIM so have your proof of residence handy.
The shop assistant will help you complete the necessary documentation. The SIM swap will be processed immediately and your new SIM will be active in about 2-24 hours.
Have you heard about fraudulent SIM swaps?
This is when criminals do a fake SIM swap to gain access to your details. Read more about how it works and what you can do to protect yourself in our fraudulent SIM swap feature.
In an effort to combat fraud, Vodacom will send you a message as a precaution to notify you that a SIM swap has been requested for your number.
- If you did request the SIM swap, it will be processed after 2 hours.
- If you did not request the SIM swap, you can stop the request before it's processed by calling 135.
For more help and advice, go to Vodacom Help me.