For COVID-19 updates, visit the official government website www.sacoronavirus.co.za for free.
#HeForShe is a solidarity movement, headed by UN Women, which encourages all people (men, boys, girls and women) across the globe to speak up and act against the inequalities faced by women and girls, both in the workplace and throughout daily life. The campaign strengthens the support for women’s empowerment as a human right by encouraging men and women to put themselves forward as advocates for gender equality. The movement seeks to mobilise one billion men around the world to stand up for women's rights.
UN Women is dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women worldwide. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programmes and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls worldwide. It works globally to make the vision of the Sustainable Development Goals a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on five priority areas:
- Increasing women’s leadership and participation
- Ending violence against women
- Engaging women in all aspects of peace and security processes
- Enhancing women’s economic empowerment
- Making gender equality central to national development planning and budgeting.
UN Women also coordinates and promotes the UN’s work in advancing gender equality, and works to position gender equality as fundamental to the Sustainable Development Goals, and a more inclusive world.
Vodacom's Three Commitments
Vodacom supports #HeForShe because we believe that both women and men are critical to achieving gender equality and promoting women’s empowerment. At Vodacom, we are committed to greater gender equality among our employees, with a focus on three key areas:
- Bringing mobile education to refugee girls in countries where Vodacom/Vodafone operates
- Increasing the representation of women in leadership positions to 30% by 2020
- Expanding access to mobile as a tool for women's empowerment.
Given our size and global footprint, we believe we can make an impact on improving gender equality and empowering women and girls through our products and services, such as mWomen initiatives and various educational programmes.
How can you help?
- Understand that gender inequality is still a pressing issue and it's a missed opportunity for economic development
- Sign up to the website – by this you are taking a stand to support women - http://www.heforshe.org/Vodafone
- If you're a woman, invite a male family member or friend by registering their contact details.