The United Nations created the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to transform the world by presenting a unified vision to end poverty, reduce inequality and prevent further harm to the planet. We have already seen how Vodacom contributed to Goal 3 (Good Health and Wellbeing), Goal 4 (Quality Education) and Goal 5 (Gender Equality) in the 2019 financial year. Now let's take a look at what Vodacom is doing to contribute to Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth.
Vodacom is committed to the following targets for Goal 8:
- to achieve higher levels of economic productivity through diversification, technological upgrading and innovation,
- to promote development-oriented policies that support productive activities, decent job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation, and encourage the formalisation and growth of micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises,
- to achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men by 2030,
- to substantially reduce the proportion of youth not in employment, education or training by 2020, and
- to strengthen the capacity of domestic financial institutions to encourage and expand access to banking, insurance and financial services for all.
Vodacom continues to contribute positively to the economy by providing opportunities for our communities. We believe connectivity is a powerful tool for achieving socio-economic growth and development, helping to reduce poverty, improve healthcare and education, and drive sustainable economic growth. Increased connectivity, the Internet of Things (IoT) and mobile financial services provide innovations and technologies that help society, making lives easier, healthier and smarter.
Our highlights of 2019
Next week, we'll be looking at Goal 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure.